All is going according to plans. At circa 15.30 (local time) Marco Da Pozzo, Davide Alberti, Mario Dibona, Renato Sottsass, and Renzo Benedetti reached Camp 3 at 7300m. In the meantime the second group is climbing up to Camp 2, while Marco Anghileri has descended to Base Camp. The weather forcast is good.
Base Camp K2 - Sunday 25 July 2004 After having been taken ill last night at Camp 2, Marco Anghileri has now (15,30 local time) returned to base Camp. A stomach virus forced the strong mountaineer from Lecco to prematurely abandon his attempt for the summit. His condition at Base Camp is good, but his return was obligatory: at 6600m he couldn't run the risk of falling ill more seriously, as this would have rendered the descent even more difficult. What remains now are the thoughts about the long months preparing for the mountain, the training, effort and sacrifices... and a bit of anger...
While Marco Anghileri was descending, the first group has reached Camp 3 at 7300m (15.30 circa). Radio contact with Mario Dibona confirmed that they are in excellent condition, and the wind remains weak. The 5 Scoiattoli are in good health, even if the ascent to Camp 3, compared to yesterday's ascent to Camp 2, was hard work. The second group should reach Camp 2 shortly, we're waiting for radio contact from them for confirmation.
Marco Da Pozzo, Davide Alberti, Mario Dibona, Renato Sottsass, Renzo Benedetti, 4 high altitude porters, 2 Swiss mountaineers. Second group
Mario Lacedelli, Marco Sala, Luciano Zardini, 3 igh altitude porters, 3 Swiss mountaineers. (Stefano Dibona has returned to BC to coordinate the ascent.)
Photo: Renato Sottsass climbing a difficult section between C2 and C3 on K2. (ph Davide Alberti). Portfolio "Trekking approach" Portfolio "Ascent"
A weak ridge is situated over Afghanistan. It may at times affect the K2-area during the first days giving only risk of occasional showers. Then it seems to become more unsettled with frequent showers due to lows over Kashmir and Tibet.